Pages

Monday 19 May 2014

Creamy Avocado Pesto & Raw Zucchini Noodles

Umm I know that avocado isn't exactly struggling in the appreciation department but it is seriously a miracle maker. This pesto sauce is so bangin', it's going to blow your mind. 

I have struggled in my early twenties to find and make healthy foods that are satisfying. I am a serial snacker and have ruined many a healthy meal by eating shitty snack foods afterwards because I'm still craving. I can tell you that I just made this for dinner and I am in no danger of snacking tonight! 

Creamy Avocado Pesto Sauce
1 avocado, pitted & cubed
1/2 cup basil pesto (I cheated and used store-bought, but if you have the ambition, feel free to use homemade)
1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogourt 

Place all ingredients in a mini food-processor and blend. It will whip up and become a creamy sauce. So easy! You could probably mash it all up by hand, or throw it in your blender if you don't have a handy dandy mini food-processor. On to the noodles...

Zucchini Noodle Pasta
3 large zucchini squash
1/2 large red onion, sliced
2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
1 cup sundried tomatoes, in oil
2 big handfuls of baby spinach


Begin by slicing your zucchini into noodles. There are many way to do this. I have a tool that is basically a carrot peeler/julienne slicer hybrid, and it makes nice long, thin noodle-y slices in one motion. It was $7 and I haven't bothered to upgrade to a fancy spiralizer yet. If you've got one, use that. Alternatively you could do it all with a knife, but I feel like that would take forever. And truly, you could also just say "Fuck it", and use evil (delicious) real pasta. But I'm trying really hard not to. 

So put the noodles in a large bowl and let them hang out for a bit.

Next is the veggies. Sautée the onions over medium heat, in your oil of choice. I used my Trader Joes Coconut Oil Cooking Spray (best invention ever?). Then add the sundried tomatoes & mushrooms. When the mushrooms are done, toss in your spinach & let it wilt. This will only take a minute, and then take the pan off the heat. 

Now toss the zucchini noodles with the avocado pesto sauce, until they are nice & coated. Sere them up on to plates and then top with the sautéed veggies. I also added some grilled chicken & some grated Parmesan, to please the boyfriend, but I assure you it is delicious enough on it's own! 

(Note: this made enough for 2 dinner servings and also 2 leftover lunch portions. I guess you could say it serves 4. It's hard cooking for just two!)

No comments:

Post a Comment